Monday 10 June 2013

The City of Gods

Varanasi. Where to begin? It was like returning home to India. It was not until I wandered through the winding streets surrounding Varanasi's Ghats, that I realised how much I missed my Indian home - its smells, its colours, its life. As we rowed up the Ganges one evening, I noticed something painted on one of the Ghats. It read something along the lines of 'The Ganga is the heart and soul of India'. A brave statement, but in my opinion, one hundred percent fact. Hopefully my photos can give you a bit of an insight into why, because at the moment I am struggling to put my time in Varanasi into words. For now, let's stick with 'breathtaking'.

Sunrise on the Ganga
Morning bathing, praying and even swimming lessons!
Taking note of how to wash our clothes properly

Saying wishes and watching our candles drift off on the Ganga on our last night together

View of the Ganga Puja from our guest house

Watching the Ganga Puja from the water






No comments:

Post a Comment