Saturday 22 June 2013

NV Party

It was a slow start to the new academic year here in Tangutur. Just as I thought I'd perfected my patience with 'Indian time', I was tested to new limits. But, of course, there is no point dwelling on the negatives - if anything a week of boredom and little work made me appreciate how lucky I have been through out my whole time here.

One evening which did, however, stand in stark contrast to my week of playing 'Bubble Shooter' and reading books was our night of 'campaigning '- or 'camping' or as I thought Sir said on the phone. At about 7.30pm - over an hour after the alloted meeting time - we set off with about eight other teachers to one of the villages armed with pamphlets and a loudspeaker. Upon arrival will all piled out and headed off to the childrens' houses. Yes, that's right, every single child's house. The reason? To tell them that school would be starting the following day. You would not believe my relief when I realised that this was our message. But, now that I'm sat here at a computer writing about it, I've jut realised how crazy it was. Can you imagine if headteachers in the U.K. went to every single childs house to tell them that school was starting? No wonder we found the whole evening so entertaining! As well as the army of teachers running around the village, the school's magic (van) was also circulating. It played a prerecorded message through in loudspeaker in Telugu telling all of the children to come to school!

Although the actual 'campaigning' was fun, the best part of the evening was being able to have a laugh and joke with the teachers again - even if they were very un-politically correct jokes! The evening started with the Social Sir raising the question, "Madam, are you thinking that all Muslims are terrorists?" and, in the short time it took me to overcome my astonishment and respond that this was not the case, Sai Sir (a Muslim) interjected with "Madam, I am a terrorist!" The next un-P.C. joke involved money - something which Indians talk about quite openly - with Sai Sir mocking Srinu (Social) Sir by saying "Madam, this house is only rented... only rented." May not sound funny to those of you reading back home, but this caused quite a reaction! The final noteworthy un-P.C. joke involved caste. We were all heading to the Social Sirs house for food and Sai Sir (in case you haven't realised, Sai Sir is quite the comedian) informed us "Madam, this is an NV party. You know NV? That is meaning Non Veg!" In India, people of different castes eat different foods and Brahmins, high caste people, traditionally eat only vegetarian food, so Sai Sir was pointing out that the Brahmin teachers were not with us. I cannot explain how glad I was to find out that this was only a joke, considering I don't eat 'NV'. Explaining my vegetarianism to intrigued friends and colleges has proved difficult to say the least!


No comments:

Post a Comment