Friday 15 February 2013

"Holes" drama

Attempt 1: A gold shop in Bangalore resulted in very wonky holes - the hole on my right ear nearly missing altogether.

Attempt 2: A different gold shop in Bangalore to put the second hole in my right ear in attempt to even it out. A bit of a spur of the moment thing but wearing a bindi in the place where the second hole would go had made me feel slightly better. That failed too. The first shot went completely wrong and the hole was on the far side of my ear gushing with blood and ridiculously painful. After calming down I went back to the same gold shop so that he could have a second attempt (which thankfully worked) and I returned to Tangutur with one hole in my left ear and two in my right. Of course the teachers did not think that looked super at all and I quickly took the earrings in my right ear out...

Attempt 3: After walking around for a few weeks looking like a pirate with only one earring, I headed to Haseena madam's house to have my other ear pierced. She brought in a stick to show us that was covered in needles...needles that would be piercing my ear and Jess' nose. Walking down the dirt track being followed by a crowd of children to one auntie's house, we both contemplated turning around. But we did it. With everyone watching as we screwed up out faces and squeezed each others pain, we had the needle from a tree pushed through our skin. Every time I feel the stick in my ear, I still can't believe I did it... seems like I'm becoming more and more Indian every day.

PS. Mom, Haseena, and the aunties nearly convinced me to have my nose pierced. It reached the point where I actually thought I was going to do it. Haseena's constant badgering of "no problem Katie, no problem" was hard to say no to, but I played the "my mother does not approve" card so still no hole in my nose for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment