Saturday 22 December 2012

Part 2 of my adventure...

Have just wasted precious minutes of 'power time' crying with relief, after checking UCAS and finding out that I have an unconditional offer from Durham. Still waiting on more offers, but now I can stop worrying about having to take a second gap year! As much as I want to go and celebrate with a packet of oreos and a mocha sachet, I think it's time to put an end to the guessing and finish my Haailand story.

Haailand was, to my surprise, a theme park. Although probably more of a funfair by Western standards, it felt pretty surreal laughing with the children on  rides from fairground horses to swinging ships. The teachers all joined in and loved it! I was brought back to reality as we were taken through some gates to the eating area. Underneath brightly covered marriage marquees sat hundreds of school children eating airplane style curries. We sat down in a circle with our unfortunately disappointing meals (tomato rice like we had in the morning, and over salted curd rice), but the two pieces of cake given to everyone made up for it!

The most exciting (and embarrassing) part of the day was yet to come. We headed to the changing rooms to put on Indian swim dresses - full length trousers and a multicoloured top. Only one teacher dared join me in the water and she was sensible enough to bring a second Punjabi. I, on the other hand, had to battle with a too small top, and broken elastic around the waist of my trousers... in a wave pool. My problems began when we all sat down in the water as giant waves rolled towards us and I frantically began asking around for a pin. When the other madam - who was enjoying herself far too much, screaming and splashing people - realised my problem, she decided to tug on my trousers so that they came down! My tummy hurt so much from laughing, but looking back, it's strange how everyone found it funny when even showing your ankles is inappropriate if you are a woman.

A pin was eventually found and we made our way towards the slides, girls and boys in separate pools of course. After screaming our way down all of the rides, I attempted to give the girls a swimming lesson. Whilst constantly being splashed and dragged around in the shallow water, it was more than a little bit difficult, but I think I did see some floating from a few of the girls. Our final stop was the rain dance. And I've never seen anything like it. Boys and girls were enclosed in separate areas screaming as each new song came on. I have to say I felt a little bit out of my league surrounded by tenth class girls showing off their Bollywood dancing.

The girls spent forever in the changing rooms, putting oil into their already shining hair and making sure their plaits were perfect. But eventually, after stopping to watch a dance show, we made it back to the buses, exhausted.  Lemon rice was quickly eaten, plates tossed into the buses, and ice creams bought. Everyone slept on the way home. Everyone except one madam, who had been given the job of answering Venkayamma madam's phone...which rang every five minutes. It took me four tries to get the code right on the lock on my door. I've never been so tired. My trip to the Haailands gave me a new insight into Indian life and culture, one that I didn't expect to find, and for that reason, it is a memory that I will cherish.





No comments:

Post a Comment