Thursday 22 November 2012

Curd and other wonder-working beauty products

Today Haseena madam told me I was looking "cute". I'm not sure if my laughing was because of her word choice or the fact that I think I look anything but cute, but it's good to know I'm finally getting my 'look' right! Every day the teachers seem to have another beauty tip for me; the first being to put curd - the yoghurt type food eaten with rice - in my hair! So below is my step by step guide to looking "cute" in India, sans curd.

Step 1: Buy some Indian clothes.

Unmarried women wear Punjabi dresses, which have baggy trousers, a knee length dress with slits up the side to waist height and a scarf that is usually a mixture of the pattern on the trousers and the dress. Accidentally showing your tummy at the sides is a 'No No', as the girls in my classes once told me the boys were laughing because 'there is white skin.' It's also a 'No No' to wear your scarf too high. It must cover your chest - at the Ganesh festival a stranger pulled my scarf down because the wind had blown it up ... bit embarrassing. Since then Haseena has shown me a variety of ways to tuck and pin my scarf, including a "3D fold". Still, I find it hard to keep my scarf on when I'm teaching! If you're feeling brave, buy a saree. Last week I finally got round to going shopping with Siva Kumari to buy one, which ended up with half the shop spread around me on the floor and means that I'm now living off 200 rupees until Bharavi brings my pocket money! Hopefully the stitching will be finished by tomorrow, as Fridays are 'new clothes days'. Azeema madam has promised me she'll help me put it on, but says I have to try first, although I'm petty sure she just wants to laugh at me!

Step 2: Scrape your hair back off your face, get rid of the parting, and put it in one plait. Either plait right to the end of your hair and roll up the bottom so the end of your hair is hidden, or, for a "cuter" look, leave four or five centimeters  loose at the end.  Use hair oil - and lots of it - to make sure your hair is slicked back and shiny. Have a "head bath" once a week. Accessorize your hair with clips or bands which match your dress and buy flowers from the stalls to clip in too.

Last week some of the teachers invited me to go with them to the 'bazaar', which turned out to be a tiny shop with trays full of random things, from hair clips to spoons to combs to saucepan cleaner, all costing 2.5 rupees. Most of the teachers all grabbed empty trays (aka shopping baskets) and started filling them, whilst Haseena helped me to pick out matching hair clips and bands from the trays and trays of kid's style, brightly coloured and glittery hair pieces. My plain black hair bands and blonde hair grips from the UK are now on a shelf collecting dust! As well as the sparkly hair bands, I also occasionally go to the bus stand and buy flowers from one of the stalls on the side of the road. My favourite being jasmine, because the smell is so strong and fresh. I buy one arms length of jasmine (the individual flowers have been woven together with cotton, which I've watched Siva Kumari doing, so hopefully she'll teach me!) and put it in the fridge so that the flowers open over night. Have to be careful though, because Raja warned me that Gopi eats anything!

Step 3:  Buy a gold chain, gold earrings, some silver ankle bracelets, the same one for each ankle, and bangles, the same number for each wrist.

I'm pretty limited in my choice of bangles, because my wrists are much bigger than tiny Indian wrists. I even had to get Mum to send me some bangles from the UK! But I do have some silver coloured (will have to save up if I want real silver!) ankle bracelets and some dark red glass bangles which I can just about squeeze on and off without breaking them. Sharleen, one of the girls in 10th class, took me to buy a (fake) gold chain which I wear with my saree to complete my 'look'. Only problem is I don't have my ears pierced so no gold earrings for me. The children are always commenting on how I have 'no holes' and Haseema even offered to take me to one Aunty's house to put a needle through them!

Step 4: Put red or pink nail varnish on your left hand. If you're feeling adventurous, buy a Mhindi cone and draw - or get someone to draw - on your left hand.

On the last day before my October holiday, there was a bit of excitement at 'trips time' (the end of school). I sat on a chair next to Haseena madam, with Vesundhara madam and the children all crowded round, whilst Haseena drew a beautiful mhindi design on my arm. She's always talked about loving drawing, and when the teachers told me that she's good at it they were definitely right! Since coming back from holiday, I've started wearing red nail varnish - on my left hand only, because your right hand is for eating - and the teachers comment on how "super" it is. I have also experimented with mhindi on my hand, and it's definitely a lot harder than it looks. My design may not have been a work of art like Haseena's, but for a first attempt I'd say it wasnt all that bad!

















Step 5: When you are out and about, make sure you walk very slowly. Speed walking is not attractive.

So that's the end of my Step to Step guide, although I'm sure by the end of the year I'll have picked up lots more tips, including some saree related advice. Have fun perfecting your Indian look!


 








No comments:

Post a Comment