Tuesday 25 September 2012

Changes

Last night Abi left for England. It has been a rollercoaster of a week, but I know that she has made the right decision as her dad is very ill. Now that she is safely on her way home, it is time for me to start making adjustments and accept that my year is going to be completely different from my original plan. I am determined to stay strong and  have as bigger impact in my project as I can, but I know that the challenge is now even greater. I will now have to face the cultural and language barriers alone and will have no one to share the ups and downs with. But I now have a unique opportunity to fully immerse myself into another culture and become completely independent.

Two other Project Trust volunteers are staying with me this week, and I cannot thank them enough. They have helped me to feel more comfortable in my village - which I have fallen in love with - and get to know some of the local people a bit better so that when I am alone I will have some company and people to go to for advice. Not only that, they have helped me out with the teaching; my classes are so loud and excitable that I'm exhausted by eleven o'clock! As much as I hate to say it, I think it's time to stop with the fun games lessons, and start being strict Katie, otherwise my children will never learn anything. So glad Abi left her Grammar Book because I've already had to read up on things for Class 2's lessons!

I also feel very grateful that I am living with my host's family. The children are all lovely, in particular Raja (who is the same age as my brother) who always talks to us and shows us where different things are in the town. He has promised to show us all of the Ganesh celebrations (turns out Ganesh's birthday lasts one week, not one day!) so will hopefully tell you all about them later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment